Monday, April 19, 2010

True Humility...Attainable?

I've been thinking a lot recently about arrogance and pride vs. meekness and humility. There is a lot I wish to say about this subject, but I will save it for some future posts. For now, my prayer is that God would simply rid my heart of the arrogance and pride that takes such a deep root, and that He would replace them with a humble reverence for Him.

Once again it all comes back to perspective...my sinfulness in light of God's holiness; my utter unworthiness compared to the Lamb who is worthy; my finite humanity exposed to the great "I AM".

The prophet Micah said it well...

"'With what shall I come before the Lord, and bow myself before God on high? Shall I come before Him with burnt offerings, with calves a year old? Will the Lord be pleased with thousands of rams, with ten thousands of rivers of oil? Shall I give my firstborn for my transgression, the fruit of my body for the sin of my soul?' He has told you, O man, what is good; and what does the Lord require of you but to do justice, and to love kindness, and to walk humbly with your God?" Micah 6:6-8

1 comment:

  1. Thanks for this post Heidi! It was a blessing to meditate on those verses. I have wondered that same thing - is true humility even possible for my arrogant heart?

    ReplyDelete