Friday, April 09, 2010

Cultural Corner

Today it is time for a fun and random post! Allow me to introduce you to my favorite spot in my room...I call it my 'cultural corner'. I do not consider myself to be a good decorator at all, but this one little corner holds very special meaning for me and is my best attempt at doing something 'artsy'. :-)

Here is the whole shelf



Most of these decorations were brought back from Peru, South America after I lived there for 11 months during my Junior year of college. On the left is a tiny nativity scene that is carved inside one of their famous hats. The pot and coin-purse are both hand-crafted and painted.



The next three hand-painted plates in the background of each shelf are my absolute favorite items from Peru. They are so beautiful and reveal much of the culture.
This shelf also contains Peruvian money and a little wooden flute that is a typical instrument within the country.



Excluding the background plate, this is my African shelf! I have never been to Africa personally, but I have several sweet friends who have gone and been kind enough to bring me back some beautiful treasures!



This plate is partially covered up by a picture of my teammates and me taken during our missionary interinship/study abroad in Peru. The random chopsticks came from another friend who went to China one summer!



I hope you have enjoyed this cultural mini-tour and glimpse into my life! :-)

What are your favorite spots in your own rooms?

1 comment:

  1. I love it, Heidi! I have a carved elephant that Tonya brought me back from SA. :)I like the little guy.

    My favorite spot in my room is my desk! I am a minimalist, so it only has my computer and a few of my very favorite things. And of course, my bed. :)

    ReplyDelete