Saturday, April 03, 2010

"With Joyful Grief"

Good Friday. Two thousand some odd years ago, this was a day of pure despair. Imagine the utter hopelessness which the followers of Christ must have felt. Mere words cannot possibly capture the magnitude of their grief.

Yet today, we look back on Good Friday and see a day filled with hope. With the words "It is Finished", history and eternity changed forever. And in the most powerful visual aid imaginable, as the veil of the temple ripped in two from top to bottom , God revealed that the barrier between man and himself had forever been removed.

God had died for men. Jesus died for me. For you.

Savior, with joyful grief, I thank you.

My Jesus Fair
Text and music: Chris Anderson & Greg Habegger

My Jesus, fair, was pierced by thorns,
By thorns grown from the fall.
Thus He who gave the curse was torn
To end that curse for all.

Chorus:
O love divine, O matchless grace-
That God should die for men!
With joyful grief I lift my praise,
Abhorring all my sin,
Adoring only Him.

My Jesus, meek, was scorned by men,
By men in blasphemy.
“Father, forgive their senseless sin!”
He prayed, for them, for me.

My Jesus, kind, was torn by nails,
By nails of cruel men.
And to His cross, as grace prevailed,
God pinned my wretched sin.

My Jesus, pure, was crushed by God,
By God, in judgment just.
The Father grieved, yet turned His rod
On Christ, made sin for us.

My Jesus, strong, shall come to reign,
To reign in majesty.
The Lamb arose, and death is slain.
Lord, come in victory


Copyright 2008 churchworksmedia.com

2 comments:

  1. What a phrase. With Joyful Grief. It captures this day perfectly.

    And that song is beautiful.

    Happy Easter. <3

    ReplyDelete